THE DICKINSON TRUST SCHOLARSHIP FUND
Information and Guidance
The Dickinson Trust Scholarship is administered by the Central Manchester and Manchester University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust’s Department of Postgraduate Medical Education on behalf of the Dickinson Trust, a charity that funds this scheme. Where study leave funding is not available, bursaries can be applied for:
- To fund travel at the start and end of the placement only, and living expenses of up to £400 a month for those wishing to spend time at another centre or organisation for educational purposes, either at home or abroad, for periods of up to a year.
- Consideration will also be given to fund learning opportunities where no other financial support is available. Accommodation and subsistence expenses will be funded for 2 days only up to a maximum of £100 a day.
The scheme is open to:
- All CMFT employees. (For consultants, please see below.)
- Newly appointed CMFT consultants within 2 years from taking up their first substantive consultant post and who might benefit from short periods of study elsewhere.
- Graduates who have received their clinical training as students at one of the Teaching Hospitals of the University of Manchester (CMFT, South Manchester, Salford or Preston). This includes healthcare graduates outside medicine and nursing.
- Those who hold a post-graduate training post at any level up to and including registrar, in one of the University of Manchester Teaching Hospitals.
Previous awards have successfully supported the following attachments and courses:
- Postgraduate Diploma in Paediatric Infectious Diseases
Specialty Registrar in Paediatrics
- Visit to Istanbul Faculty of Medicine to gain experience of the complications of Behcet’s syndrome and to use the experience to promote the regional Behcet’s service.
- Research/clinical training fellowship at the University of Toronto Head & Neck Surgical Oncology Fellowship Program.
To apply for a bursary, please complete and return the attached application form to Dr Ngozi Edi-Osagie, Chair of the Trustees of the Dickinson Trust, at the email address below, along with:
- A letter of support from your Educational or Clinical Supervisor, if applicable, agreeing to sponsor your application for the duration of the funding.
- A letter of support from your Head of Department/Directorate/Research Programme
- A letter of support from the Head of Department/Directorate/Research Programme of the institution that you are visiting, if applicable.
- For those attending conferences, a copy of your poster, abstract or presentation.
- Full CV
- Two references with regard to this application. NB: These can be the letters of support listed under i) and ii)
PLEASE NOTE THAT EVENTS FOR WHICH FUNDING IS BEING APPLIED FOR MUST TAKE PLACE AFTER THE NEXT MEETING OF THE DICKINSON TRUSTEES. RETROSPECTIVE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.
If your proposal meets the criteria you may be invited to attend a Trustees’ meeting to discuss your application with the panel who will determine whether and how much to award. Successful applicants must provide a report to the Dickinson Trustees within one calendar month of either their attendance at conference or the completion of their attachment. Applicants completing attachments must also submit a brief report from the Head of the Department where they worked.
Please forward all applications, marked for the attention of Dr Ngozi Edi-Osagie, via email to:
Sally Hussey at firstname.lastname@example.org
Medical Education Manager, Postgraduate Centre,
Manchester Royal Infirmary, Oxford Road, Manchester M13 9WL Tel: 0161 276 8728