Month: August 2015
THE DICKINSON TRUST SCHOLARSHIP FUND applications are now open and will close on the 25th September 2015. This is the last call for applications!!!
More on the trust here and info below.
Information and Guidance
The Dickinson Trust Scholarship is administered by the Central Manchester and Manchester University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust’s Department of Postgraduate Medical Education on behalf of the Dickinson Trust, a charity that funds this scheme. Where study leave funding is not available, bursaries can be applied for:
- To fund travel at the start and end of the placement only, and living expenses of up to £400 a month for those wishing to spend time at another centre or organisation for educational purposes, either at home or abroad, for periods of up to a year.
- Consideration will also be given to fund learning opportunities where no other financial support is available. Accommodation and subsistence expenses will be funded for 2 days only up to a maximum of £100 a day.
The scheme is open to:
- All CMFT employees. (For consultants, please see below.)
- Newly appointed CMFT consultants within 2 years from taking up their first substantive consultant post and who might benefit from short periods of study elsewhere.
- Graduates who have received their clinical training as students at one of the Teaching Hospitals of the University of Manchester (CMFT, South Manchester, Salford or Preston). This includes healthcare graduates outside medicine and nursing.
- Those who hold a post-graduate training post at any level up to and including registrar, in one of the University of Manchester Teaching Hospitals.
Previous awards have successfully supported the following attachments and courses:
- Postgraduate Diploma in Paediatric Infectious Diseases
Specialty Registrar in Paediatrics
- Visit to Istanbul Faculty of Medicine to gain experience of the complications of Behcet’s syndrome and to use the experience to promote the regional Behcet’s service.
- Research/clinical training fellowship at the University of Toronto Head & Neck Surgical Oncology Fellowship Program.
THE CLOSING DATE FOR RECEIPT OF APPLICATIONS IS FRIDAY 25 SEPTEMBER 2015
PLEASE NOTE THAT EVENTS FOR WHICH FUNDING IS BEING APPLIED FOR MUST TAKE PLACE AFTER THE NEXT MEETING OF THE DICKINSON TRUSTEES ON MONDAY 19 OCTOBER 2015. RETROSPECTIVE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED
For further details and for application forms, please contact:
Belinda Nethercott, Deputy Medical Education Manager,
Central Manchester University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust:
firstname.lastname@example.org or tel: 0161 276 8712
Please click on the link below to download the latest on promoting excellence in medical education from the GMC. These new standards will come into effect from January 2016 and will replace Tomorrow’s Doctors (2009) and The Trainee Doctor (2011).
Please note that these are now unified standards for undergraduate and postgraduate education. I think this is a good idea as there are clear similarities between UG and PG education and where one is working well it tends to be working well for the other.
Patient safety is prioritised throughout the document, with five themes to deliver this.
- Learning environment and culture
- Educational governance and leadership
- Supporting learners
- Supporting educators
- Developing and implementing curricula and assessments
If you are involved in UG or PG education then this is a must read before the standards come into force next year.
As ever, please get in touch with any questions.